This super easy middle eastern inspired salad is the perfect midweek meal.
Millet is a versatile grain, that is part of the grass family. It is also high in protein and gluten-free. Millet is becoming much more popular recently because of its numerous health benefits. Not only is this grain packed with protein, as mentioned earlier, but it also has excellent antioxidant properties and is full of fibre. Millet contains the highest calcium content of all the grains which is said to promote the cardiovascular and bone health.
The most commonly produced type of millet is Pearl Millet. These come as small yellow balls that when cooked absorb the water and swell up.
Typically 1 cup of Millet contains roughly 200 calories which makes it a very accessible grain if you are on a calorie controlled diet.
- 1 Cup Millet
- 1 Bag of Rocket
- Half an Aubergine
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
- Spring Onions
- 1 Cucumber
- Parsley (mined)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 50mls of Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Large Lemon
- 1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- Boil you Millet. It is very much the same as rice to boil. Generally you add one part millet to three parts of water. However, check individual cooking directions on the packet.
- While the millet is cooking chop the aubergine into cubes and with a little oil cook at 200 degrees until the cubes are tender.
- Dice the onions, tomatoes and cucumber.
- When the millet is cooked through add the rocket, millet, tomatoes, cucumber and onions to a bowel.
- Dice the parsley and garlic and add to the salad.
- Add the oil, lemon, some salt and pepper and add a tablespoon of soy sauce to a bowl and mix.
- When the aubergine is cooked remove it from the oven and add to the salad.
- Toss the dressing through the salad.